Friday, August 23, 2013

What Do You Write That Scares You? - Part 2

Yesterday's post got away from me a bit. I didn't intend it to be that long, or to ramble that much. But here's the essence of what I was trying to say.

While it was scary to post the link to Better Than Everything on Facebook and Twitter, when all was said and done, no one freaked out about it. 

A co-worker was a bit shocked after reading it and admitted that she looks at me differently now, but beyond that...crickets. 

Now, there could be two reasons for this. 

One: the story just didn't rub people the wrong way.

Or two: no one read it. 

On my days of uncertainty, I'm certain of two.

But on my days of certainty, I know I must write about the unfamiliar, the uncomfortable and the unjust because that's when I push myself. That's when my writing is at its best. 

And that's when scary is good.

What do you write that scares you?

2 comments:

Anne said...

It's the "unexpected" and out-of-the-box element of your writing that always leaves me wanting more. Keep up the good work...and looking forward to reading whatever's next in the pike!

six blocks east of mars said...

@Anne: Thank you for the kind words :) I have short story that will be published at the end of the month. It's somewhat out-of-the-box for me and was a challenge to write. I hope you enjoy it.