Monday, May 21, 2012

Get Your Humor Out of My Sci Fi - Part 1

This man is not funny.
He wouldn't know funny
if it smacked him upside the head.
If I've learned anything about myself these past thirty-six and a half years, it's I'm a serious guy. 

Just take a look at that picture of me over there at the top right. It's not a mug shot (though my wife says otherwise). It was my visa picture for Vietnam. The rules were not to smile.So I didn't. I know how not to smile very well.

I've practiced most of my life.

By the way, my wife's mug, er, visa picture for Vietnam looks just as bad. I'm just not afraid to put mine out there. 

Anyway, this is not to say I don't have a sense of humor. I laugh. And not just by myself, either. 

My all-time favorite television comedy is The Simpsons, especially during the 90's. This post I made almost three years ago is such an obscure reference to the Simpsons that no one read it. I also find Conan O'Brien funny as hell. Even now. 

For the longest time, there wasn't anything funnier to me than Eddie Murphy's Delirious. When I was about eleven or twelve years old, my oldest brother Larry bought the cassette tape and we listened to it with our other brother, Lloyd, until the radio ate it. Vintage Eddie Murphy at his best. Every single routine on that tape is funny.

My sophomore year of college, my roommate Sean bought any and all Richard Pryor cassette tapes he could get his hands on. We'd listen to them in our dorm room for hours. I'm cracking a smile right now thinking about Richard Pryor's routine with the preacher and the big water-head boy. 

Dave Chappelle's skit about the R. Kelly trial (now that I think about it, was that influenced by Richard Pryor's "Piss on it!"?); every episode of Community (very smart and very funny - Joel McHale is crazy and Donald Glover is crazier); anything Tina Fey does; the British version of The Office - all funny. 

I like funny. I like watching funny. I like listening to funny.

I don't like reading funny. Especially in science fiction.

Why? Good question. I'm still trying to figure that out.

No comments: