Sunday, July 03, 2011

Old School Simple

It's been far too long since my last post. No more long stretches. For real this time.


About a week ago, I finished a short short/flash fiction piece just under 1,000 words. I let my wife read it and she had a lot of good criticism for it. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but my wife is probably my harshest critic, which is a good thing for my writing. She tells it like it is, and almost always her advice and suggestions make my writing and stories better.


One of the comments my wife had about this newest story was that it felt smooth and easy as she read it. The plot and story itself didn't feel like it unfolded with a struggle, which meant (she guessed) that it didn't seem like it was a struggle for me to write (she was right). Ultimately, she said it didn't feel like a story I over-thought. And she's right.

For the first time in a long time, I set out to write a simple and straight-forward story. I'd even go as far as to call it old school. There's nothing new and different about this story's premise: near-future Earth with very limited water resources.

Now, what really should be interesting is to see how it's received as I send it out.

No comments: