Thursday, March 19, 2009

Star Trek Part II

A good friend of mine sent me an email yesterday about my Star Trek post, suggesting I view the original series as television show that was groundbreaking for its diversity during a time when civil rights were at the forefront.Mary Anne Mohanraj (one of the creators of Strange Horizons and a South Asian speculative fiction writer) discusses (in part) the same thing here.

I'm somewhat ashamed that I didn't praise Star Trek for this. But again, as I said in my previous post, I think my disinterest in the original series might have a little to do with generation. Now, neither my good friend nor Mary Anne are that much older than me, but both (I think) would have been seniors in high school when I was a freshman.

That's not the ten-year difference my sister and I have, but those four years put them closer to the 60's and the civil rights era than me. I was born smack in the middle of the 70's and grew up on the South Side of Chicago in the 80's. And even though, I remember singing "Young, Gifted and Black" in school, and the "I'm Black and I'm Proud" slogan being everywhere, obvious products of the civil rights ra, I'm a child of the 80's through and through.

I watched MTV often, and I had both a Rubik's Cube and an Atari 2600. What am I trying to say? I think I'm trying to say that for the children of the 70's Star Trek is viewed as a result of the strong, determined voices of the civil rights era, and for children of the 80's Star Trek gets lost in new-fangled gadgets, Voltron and Transformers.

But then again, maybe my view on the series is severely narrow.

2 comments:

Kahnee said...

When I was in middle school, I stayed up at night watching reruns of Star Trek the Next Generation. I loved Data, Jordi, and the bald captain. I would always imagine myself as a member of the crew. The show would spark my imagination and fuel my dreams at night. It goes double for Deep Space Nine. I was so in love with Odo.
I could take or leave the original series (I did like the Vulcan, though), but I respect it because it was original and it had the first IR couple kiss. I love the fact that it has Uhura, but from the few episodes I saw, she didn’t have much of a role except to look black and sexy. I hope that changes in the movie-I like black and sexy but I want her to show some strength too.

For the new movie, I think I’m loving it so much because of the memories I had watching the next generation and deep space nine when I was younger--- what do they call it: nostalgia. That nostalgia is giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I’m hoping to get a Uhura costume made in time for the movie. LOL!

six blocks east of mars said...

You were in love with Odo?!

I liked Deep Space Nine, too. I liked it much better than STNG. DS9 had long-running story lines that I had no idea how they were going to resolve where bad things actually happened.

Like I said, I understand the significance of the original series, but it just doesn't do much for me.