Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Star Trek: Is it Generational?

Star Trek the original tv series just didn't do it for me, but my sister, who is ten years and ten months older than me, loved it.

If Star Trek was on television in our house it was because my sister had turned it on. For her, it was a tv show she'd grown up with. For me, it was a hand-me-down tv show that was kind of faded and used.

I may have mentioned this here before, but my sister had a lot of influence on me growing up. Not only did she encourage me to write at a young age, she also encouraged me to read and write science fiction.

The first time I ever read Dune was her tattered copy. But I just didn't find her love for Star Trek infectious. I'd say it's a generational thing, but I know people my age who love Star Trek.

Yet, when it comes to my sister and me, I think it is a generational thing. The television shows we grow up with have a tendency to be near and dear to us. Name almost any 80's cartoon, and I probably have a soft spot for it in my heart. But not Star Trek.

Truthfully, I can't really tell you why it doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I was too young for it then, but it still doesn't appeal to me now. It's cheesy (which is part of its large appeal to some), looks faded (just like hand-me-down clothes), and the special effects are rudimentary, at best (except for when they get beamed up).

I did watch Star Trek: the Next Generation every now and then, and Deep Space Nine, though. Those shows weren't cheesy (usually), didn't look faded (at least at the time), and had decent special effects (for tv shows)--which is probably why the new Star Trek movie appeals to me.

From the trailers I've seen, it's flashy, has good special effects, and has Zoe Saldana. That's enough to get me to see it. I know. Typical guy, right? Sometimes.

Flashy movies with pretty girls do it for me. Flashy book covers with pretty girls don't. Those type of covers make me suspicious. For the most part, my sci-fi movie and book preferences come down to this: sprinkle a lot of shinies (you RPGers know what I'm talking about) onscreen or in the storyline, and you got me hooked.

Keeping me hooked? Well, that's for the next post.

No comments: