Sunday, January 11, 2009

Published: Polluto #4

I know I'm 11 days late, but Happy New Year anyways. Now on to more exciting things.

I can't tell you how overjoyed I am to be published in Polluto: The Anti-Pop Culture Journal and issue #4 themed Queer and Loathing in Wonderland. And if you know me, you know I don't normally use words like overjoyed, so it must be true.

Gaining acceptance and paid publication in print is a difficult thing for an aspiring spec fic writer, especially for those of us who can't always buy a copy of the magazine or journal to determine what type of stories the editors want. For spec fic writers like me, websites like Ralan and Duotrope Digest are our best resources to get published.

I don't mind studying every page and pretty much every word of a magazine's website to suss out the type of stories they like, but cold submissions are always an unnerving thing. At least for me.

It's always good when you hit it spot on--as I did with Polluto--but often those acceptances are few and far in between. When I read the submission guidelines for Issue 4: Queer and Loathing in Wonderland, I was certain my story "Beta Child, Gamma Child" was perfect for it. But then the story is one of the most daring I've written so far, incorporating a wide range of social, racial, sexual, sexual orientation and gender issues, so doubt crept in.

Confidence eventually won out over doubt, though. Polluto, based in the UK, describes itself as a counterculture magazine home to the surreal, magical, postmodern, postcolonial, queer, and subversive with punkish, gritty elements of speculative fiction, science fiction and fantasy.

As I waited for my response from Editor-in-Chief Adam Lowe, whose editorial team won the Spectrum Fantastic Arts Silver Editor Award two weeks after Polluto's first issue was released (an award also given to Playboy!?), I figured "Beta Child, Gamma Child" had enough of that to be accepted.

The interesting thing-- or things, actually--is that the opening scene was first conceived as a literary fiction piece and is based on my wife's bathroom print "Woman Bathing," and the story was very difficult for me to write, especially the last scene. I had my wife read that scene numerous times to make sure it was correctly portrayed, as well as make sure it didn't offend her as a woman.

I write for a myriad of reasons, but one of the main reasons I write is for my wife. I want her to enjoy and respect my writing.

Okay, enough of that.

Hopefully, this is a good enough teaser for you to buy a copy of Polluto Issue# 4. If you do (and thank you in advance), let me know. I'll buy an issue of a mag you're published in or reccommend, or I'll donate to your charity of choice.

Here's the link (you can find Issue #4 in the scroll down menu under your country preference):  Polluto Issue #4: Queer and Loathing in Wonderland

Overjoyed. Really. Can't you tell?

4 comments:

Wayne said...

That's great news - Congratulations!

six blocks east of mars said...

Thanks, Wayne. It's a great way to start of the new year.

PurpleZoe said...

Dope.
I ordered my copy.


Shine on
-PurpleZoe

six blocks east of mars said...

Thanks, PurpleZoe. I appreciate it. I'll hit you up on email to find out what charity/cause I can support. Thanks again, and keep doing what you do.