Tuesday, October 21, 2008

299 Tuesday

Oh my goodness. It's been nearly four months since I've last chronicled here.That's just shameful.

I rarely get writer's block. I get writer's freeze. Often I have the idea, the characters, the background--even much of the language in my head--but despite that, I just won't write. I freeze. I'm afraid to flesh out the story.

I'm afraid that if I do, much of what is fleshed out will have to be discarded, and not necessarily because it is bad writing. Sometimes I'm just afraid that through the editing process I will lose what I love best of my writing, the crux of my ideas, the essence of the story.

The thing is, that often happens. These days, my lovely wife is my sounding board. She has a good eye for what works and what does not; for what's plausible and what's too much of a stretch. She has given me very good advice on some recent writing, and I eventually had to gut its overall premise.

It hurt somewhat to do so, but it didn't hurt as much as it would have three years ago. I know the story and my writing as a whole is better because of the massive editing, but that knowledge doesn't prevent my writing freeze. At least, not yet.

On a different note, since I've last chronicled The Future Fire has rejected two rewritten versions of "The Snatcher," putting it at the top of the list of the publications I am determined to sell a story. Their rejection letter wasn't anything special, but I suppose they said the same thing about my story.

Lately, my writing confidence has taken a huge hit, mainly due to work. Hopefully, that changes soon and I can shake this funk and find my writing flow.

No comments: