Wednesday, April 30, 2008

199 Wednesday

The last movie I was thoroughly excited to see was X-Men, released in 2000. It's been ten years since I've anticipated a movie so.

Admittedly, I'm not a movie buff, nor are movies my thing. Books are.

However, to know there will be a Hollywood Dune movie not made in the 80's is enough to make my heart palpitate. No, seriously.

So far, Dune is the best book I've ever read, but then I'm biased. It's science fiction. It's my favorite book. I usually read it two or three times a year, never tiring of it, never finding it stale with each successive reading. And to know there will be a third version of the movie that could do sandworms and sandworm riding justice--oh my goodness, that's a delicious thought.

And no, I will not be disappointed by the special effects. Anything can be better than Kyle MacLachlan standing against a green screen holding curved tinfoil, or whatever the prop department tried to pass off as riding hooks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the 1984 version. And the Sci Fi Channel mini-series--visually--was a pleasant improvement.

Chani? That scene where the Fedaykin chant Muad'Dib?

Beautiful.

No comments: