Tuesday, January 15, 2008

299 Tuesday

No, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, sausage, egg and cheese McGriddles (with grape jelly, of course) and Matsuya gyudon (Japanese beef bowl) are not being sold for $2.99 on Tuesdays ( a little insight for you into my wonderful and healthy eating habits).

As internet memes go, so goes six blocks east of mars. Every Tuesday, I'll post at least one speculative fiction-related entry of 299 words--no more, no less.

Influenced by many of the writers involved with the WOCBT (some do a Thursday Thirteen), I thought this would be a good way to ensure fresh content while, at the same time, giving myself a writing exercise.

299 Tuesday will mainly focus on speculative literature, but movies and even video games will also be discussed. Oh, and the significance of the number 299 you ask? Because...THIS IS NOT SPARTA!

Cheesy, yes, but now that I've gotten it out of my system, on to Assassin's Creed.

If you haven't heard, Assassin's Creed is a video game released last November by Ubisoft for the new-gen Playstation 3 and XBox 360 platforms.

I have neither (too expensive), so I decided to do the next best thing: buy the novels based on the game, beginning with Assassin’s Creed Book One: The Invisible Imam. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a book written by Steven Barnes based on an excellently conceived game, and besides, I've been wanting to pick up something written by Steven Barnes.

And then I find out the trilogy has been cancelled. Steven Barnes was not all that happy about it, but at least he got paid for the first book. Seems the original assassins (in the true sense of the phrase) had issues about how their sect was being portrayed. Not really a group of people you want to anger.

No comments: