Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Novel In Progress

So, I got a bit off-track last post.

Earlier today, I initially wanted to blog my decision to write a novel. With the criticism I've been getting from my recent rejections, I think expanding my short stories into a novel is the most logical way to go. The recent rejections I've received from Shimmer Magazine and Daikaijuzine helped me make up my mind.

The editor from Shimmer said: "You're working with some interesting ideas in this piece, and you tell it with a strong voice - but it felt to me as if too much of the story was told via backstory. I'd also prefer to get to know your protagonist much better than we do here. It's just not a good match for us, but I hope you're able to find a good home for it elsewhere."

The editor from Daikaijuzine said: "Unfortunately, we're going to pass on this one. It seems as though there's too much "telling" and not enough "showing" going on in this story, and as a consequence it failed to hold our interest." Too much exposition, too much backstory, too much telling, not enough showing--I'm getting the same criticism from different editors.

This isn't the first time I've thought I should write a sci-fi novel, but this is the first time I've thought I can truly make it happen. I have the content, the characters, the setting and even the concept to flesh out a decent-sized novel. What I don't have, and hope to eventually perfect, is the plot-technique, the pacing, and the character development.

I think that, at this point, I'm cramming too much story into too few words. My ideas, my characters and even my setting is obviously interesting to editors, but my actual storytelling is just not suited for the elements of the short stories I'm writing. I need to expand the confines of my story to much larger boundaries.

So a novel is what I'm shooting for, but I also know that I can feasibly put together two novellas based in the same world, with the same concepts and the same characters.

Regardless of what the end results are, I'm confident I'll be pleased with what I produce, and the quality of writing will be high.

No comments: